Wednesday, March 4, 2020

A Classic Old Movie



There is an old classic movie called The Bicycle Thief. A lot of directors called it the greatest movie ever. Everyone recommended it. Indeed it is a beautiful movie. It is about the power of forgiveness. A man looks for a job during a time of unemployment. He finds one but the manager said he needs a bicycletta if he wants the job. He says he has one and goes to a store to get one. He has a wife and son. One day while doing his job of plastering posters, he gets the bicycle stolen. Despite a frantic search across town, that turned up nothing. In a fit of exhaustion, he himself steals a bike. But instead of facing anger similar to the one he evinced when his two wheeled velociraptor was stolen, the crowd forgave him. The production values are old, but this movie is ahead of its time. Beautiful photography, I can see where Kubrick got his influence, and most of the scenes were filmed outdoors so you really see the interactive and can really feel the vibes of 1948 when the movie was filmed. So much so that as I was watching the movie, I thought that I wouldn't be surprised if I looked out the window and it's actually 1948 and I'd be thinking, "No big deal. It's just like the movie." It's rare when a film would do that. French Connection and Taxi Driver really made a viewer feel the vibes of 1970s New York. It is like a dream of traveling to a lost and long forgotten time. There is a scene where he runs past a fancy art deco hotel with balconies. It reminded me of the hotels of Miami Beach. That beautiful architectural style was around in the 1940s? I thought it wouldn't be around until much later. I liked the movie. Victoria de Sica's The Bicycle Thief has to be seen on a big screen TV so you can really get the vibes of 1948.
I'm about 50 years old and it occurs to me that my father would have been about Bruno's age and my grandfather would have been about Antonio's age in 1948.
Dust is a channel on YouTube that only does sci-fi films. In the film A Crimson Man, the boy in that film reminds me of my father as a boy. He is wearing that hat. And the face if you look at the eyes-nose-mouth which together form an hourglass and on no two faces is the specific particular shape of the hourglass exactly the same looks similar to my father's face.
I recently saw some old films but speed corrected. These are ordinary films of people and life on the street. Whoever thought of speed corrected is a genius. It gives new life to those old sprocket holes.

For some reason, I am wanting to look at old movies because they have the power to teleport you back in time, so to speak. The feelings of he movie. Someone on YouTube said the East Indian movie PatherPatchali is worth seeing. Another movie that's supposed to as good as The Bicycle Thieves is How Green Was My Valley? Would those movies teleport me back in time? The East Indian movie was in very low definition on the free version on YouTube and the pacing of the production values is something to get used to. I'll give it a shot.
Well, I couldn't get into those movies. A video called Ten Most Beautiful Movies Of All Time recommended Hero starring Jet Li. As it happens I have that on DVD.


A YouTube video called Macchu Pichu What They Don't Show You. I learned the word ashlar. That's the technique also used at Buri Ram The Stone Temple where the stones are fitted so that not even a piece of paper can slide between them.