Saturday, October 4, 2008

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea



http://www.vimeo.com/3041133

I have a new friend, Vimeo. This is my first Vimeo video and the URL contains the number 33. That number comes up often for me and my videos.





Wind blowing.

The North Sea. Icebergs floating past.

A Narwhal is seen in the distance.

A crew man aboard a ship says: It is not usual to see Narwhal this far North at this time of year.

New York, 1895. Two women aboard a ship for rich people, actually this ship was to take them to a larger ship. Like an airport shuttle to take people to the airplane.
One woman to the other: Isn't this first leg of our trip exciting? This ship, as large as it is, serves as just a transport ship to transport us to a much larger luxury liner waiting in the distance.

The other woman in response: I just saw a Narwhal. You don't see Narwhal often in New York harbour.


The South China Sea.

Two Chinese aboard a junk. One says to the other, in Chinese: Gum dy tue yue jer yow ah? Ngor je meng geen gor. Translated subtitles, essential: Such a large fish. I have never seen that before.

At the ship's office: My name is Arronax. As an experienced sailor with my own 75 foot wooden steamship, I am going go on a trip to South America for a vacation. Maybe I might even run into the Narwhal that everyone is talking about. Rumour has it that that it is no Narwhal. It is a man made craft that is much faster beneath the surface of the ocean than most ships above the surface of the ocean are. Whispered legend speaks of a man named Captain Nemo.

Arronax as narrator: I set sail from New York, I pass the Coast of Florida but am careful to avoid the Bermuda Triangle. Then I sail pass the Coast of Brazil. Off the Coast of Patagonia, there is another stop. I see a lighthouse illuminating the waters for any ships that may pass. I drop anchor and rest for the night.

It is late at night as I walk along the prow of my wooden steamer ship. I light a pipe of Captain Black Peaches and Cream pipe tobacco and I spot the Narwhal in the distance. It seems to be just resting there. I take a row boat and row out to the ship.

Beneath the ship is Captain Nemo in all his glory. He is an eccentric man who can telepathically commununicate with all sea animals.

Captain Nemo: Welcome aboard. I waited in the harbour. I knew that you would attempt to visit. I am Captain Nemo. This submarine is called The Nautilus. It runs from electricity wirelessly stolen from whatever ships are in the water. Right now, your steamer has absolutely no electricity. Oops. Sorry. I have been at this for a few hundred years. I lived so long because I am magical. Anyways, you should see Atlantis.

With Captain Nemo, we visit the brilliant golden city of Atlantis which has technology that we will not see for another thousand years. Golden crystal illuminated skyscrapers 500 storeys high. Flying machines. New York harbour has one Statue of Liberty and green. Atlantis's harbour has four and golden.
During our trip to Atlantis, we visit an indoor crocodile zoo with a tinted glass floor.

Octopus cave. past a coral reef. hermit crab. Giant clam.

A large squid attacks the Nautilus. Arronax is taken to his death in the clutches of the squid.

New York harbour 113 years later. The Narwhal like Nautilus breaches the surface of the post 9/11 waters of New York harbour.


__________________________________________________________________________